Re: [swish-e] creating index - c api

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2010 - 00:13:53 GMT
vagrant vagrant wrote on 6/24/10 7:07 PM:
> hi all.
>
> i have simple (and maybe stupid) question:
>
> i was studying documentation, and there is no function for creating
> index. is possible to create swish-e index through c api? and if yes,
> how? and if not, why not? thx

Not a stupid question.

The API covers only searching, not indexing.

Why not? The short answer is because no one has written one for version 2.x.

Swish3 allows for both indexing and searching APIs. Right now the 2 supported
backends are for Xapian (C++ API) and KinoSearch (Perl API). Eventually we hope
to offer a Lucy-backed C API (http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/).

If you require C, today, you might look at Swish3 plus Hyper Estraier
(http://hyperestraier.sourceforge.net/). HE appears to be abandoned, but the
source code is still available.