Re: [swish-e] Index errors when sharing between aws cloud servers and standalone.

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 08 2010 - 23:58:51 GMT
Brad Miele wrote on 3/8/10 3:04 PM:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of moving from standalone servers (proliant
> G4, Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)) to AWS cloud
> servers (CentOS release 5.2 (Final)).
>
> We are noting that indexes built under 2.4.7 on one machine aren't
> readable on the other. This occurs in both directions. We have also
> tested with indexes built on one of our FreeBSD machines with the same
> results. Has anyone experienced this? I am not sure what additional
> input I can provide, but would be happy to do some legwork.

this is typically a 64-bit vs 32-bit arch problem. If you do a:

 uname -a

on each system, one is likely ix86 and the other x86_64.

svn trunk (marked version 2.5.8) is currently compatible with both arch. So you
can build on 32-bit arch and search on 64-bit and vice versa. The dev team has
been preparing it for a release as 2.6.0 (not to be confused with the
branches/2.6 tree in svn, which is the BDB-backed version and will be
re-versioned). If you wanted to grab a recent nightly build and try that, you
would (a) be helping us test it and (b) likely getting consistent build/search
results across different architectures.

Or you might discover that I don't know what I'm talking about. ;)