Re: [swish-e] Installing the python module

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 14:31:23 GMT
Michael Grech wrote on 03/05/2010 03:47 AM:

> I am doing it for learning purposes so don't worry about security it
> isn't really an issue.  My aim is to retrieve all the URL in the
> browser's history that are not Google queries (via Mozilla Places) and
> index them. I Would like to automate this process, that is why i would
> like to be able to use Swish-e from python.  At the moment i have
> retrieved the URLs i need now it is just a matter of indexing them (you
> could say i need a crawler along with my indexer but i don't need any
> spidering i just need to index that html page)

If what you are trying to do is *index* things, then the python library
-- or any libswish-e related library binding -- is not going to help
you. The Swish-e 2.x library is for search only.

You can write an indexer in any language and pass it to the swish-e -S
prog feature.

If you want to write a search application to retrieve results from the
index, that's when you'd need bindings to the C library using python or
perl or php or whatever.

Just wanted to be clear in case there was some confusion as to what the
library actually gives you.