Re: [swish-e] Installing the python module

From: Michael Grech <michael.grech(at)not-real.onvol.net>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 09:47:59 GMT
David Norris wrote:
> OK, I think I found the python api you're using...  "SwishE 0.5"
> Python API released Aug 17 2005.  I was able to build the python
> module on Ubuntu 9.10 against the provided Swish-e 2.4.5 without any
> problems.  So, in theory, you should be able to build it on Windows if
> you can assemble the required pieces and put them together with some
> chewing gum and bailing wire.  Building any code on Windows is a bit
> of a mad science experiment.
>
> Now, what version of Swish-e are you using exactly?  I'm afraid you'll
> probably have to compile Swish-e yourself for this all to work.
>
> I have written instructions on building Swish-e for 32-bit Windows by
> cross compiling on Ubuntu.  I have not even tried building on Windows
> for the better part of a decade.  I've heard of one person who used
> mingw-w32 and msys to build on Windows.  It should be perfectly
> possible.  Still, none of this is guaranteed to get you a working
> python module.  If your python build was compiled with MSVC you may
> still end up with incompatible libraries.  My cross-compile
> instructions and some other notes are here if you're interested in
> looking:
>   http://www.swishewiki.org/sw/index.php/Win32
>
> --
>   David L Norris
>   http://webaugur.com/

Hey Dave thanks

I am doing it for learning purposes so don't worry about security it
isn't really an issue.  My aim is to retrieve all the URL in the
browser's history that are not Google queries (via Mozilla Places) and
index them. I Would like to automate this process, that is why i would
like to be able to use Swish-e from python.  At the moment i have
retrieved the URLs i need now it is just a matter of indexing them (you
could say i need a crawler along with my indexer but i don't need any
spidering i just need to index that html page)

I have installed swish-e 2.4.7 using the windows installer but it now
seems that i need to install it from source.

I really appreciate the help and will follow the guide you provided and
get back to you, if you are aware of any tool that will be more suited
to my needs then don't hesitate to get back to me