Re: [swish-e] Parsing plain text emails to use the subject line as the title

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 16:00:01 GMT
Troy Wical wrote on 01/03/2010 11:26 PM:
> Ok, this is a pretty big jump for me.  I'm in the process of
> introducing myself to perl, with no previous experience in scripting,
> other than hacking what I find on google. There are a couple things I
> "think" I need to do here, of which some are outside of the scope of
> this list.
>
> 1. Install the mail.pm module mentioned. CPAN can't find it so I'll go
> figure out to install it manually.
> 2. Figure out if I need to use the Perl API to work with mail.pm.
> 3. Try and figure out how to use mail.pm
>
> Of those three things, number 3 is clearly going to be my sticking
> point due to my complete lack of perl knowledge.  Is there anyone out
> there using this module that can provide some kind of example script?

Sorry, I realize my earlier email was terse.

1.
You want to install the SWISH::Prog package from CPAN:

 % cpan SWISH::Prog

2.
You do not need to use SWISH::API. The mail aggregator creates a regular
swish-e index, which you can search with the swish-e binary tool.

3.
The SWISH::Prog package comes with an example script called 'swish3'
which can be used to index the mail. It will not be installed along with
the other .pm files, but you can either grab it from the .tar.gz file or
pull it from here:

http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/KARMAN/SWISH-Prog-0.33/examples/swish3

You would run swish3 like this:

 % swish3 -i path/to/maildir -S mail -c config-file

It will put all your index files in a directory called index.swish/.

Feel free to post back here with other questions.