[swish-e] 2.6 feature questions

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)>
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 17:12:45 GMT
I have been working on the 2.6 branch lately and have a couple of design
decisions to make, but as they will affect the default behavior of the
swish-e command line tool I wanted to solicit feedback before I plunge

As a reminder: the 2.6 branch uses Berkeley DB as the backend storage
and thus provides incremental indexing support. There is no release date
target set yet, though as I shake out and fix bugs whatever that date is
draws closer.

My questions are:

(1) the default behavior is to replace (overwrite) an index unless the
-u (update) flag is present on the command line. This behavior seemed ok
as a 2.4.x compatibility design, but in practical use it means that you
have to explicitly tell swish-e *not* to erase your existing index every
time you run it. That is trouble waiting to happen.

Suggestion: make the update feature *on* by default, so if swish-e finds
an existing index file, run in update mode rather than create mode. If
you want to overwrite an existing index, we'll have a new -o (overwrite)
flag instead.

(2) there are now many (6) files associated with a single index.

Suggestion: make the index a directory instead of a file, so you would
run like:

  swish-e -f path/to/index.swish-e

but index.swish-e is a directory, not a file.

Peter Karman  .  .  peter(at)
Users mailing list