Re: [swish-e] Indexing starts all over again

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 02:09:47 GMT
Paras Fadte wrote on 8/14/09 1:35 AM:
> Hi ,
>
> Also , when I try compiling swish-e with incremental support I get
> following during "make check" test . What could be the reason ?
>
> Swish-e version used is 2.4.7
>
> OS is :
> SUSE LINUX 10.1 (X86-64)
> VERSION = 10.1
>

> PASS: check_index
> FAIL: check_search
> FAIL: check_metasearch
> PASS: check_fuzzy
> ===================
> 2 of 4 tests failed
> ===================
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1

I can confirm that failure under SUSE 10.2 on x86-64 (64bit) arch.

However, all tests pass for me under CentOS 5.3 on i386 (32bit) arch.

I'm going to guess it's a 32-vs-64-bit issue. The tests just segfault.

The btree (incremental) feature in the 2.4 series is still labeled experimental.
The original author has been inactive in the community for several years, and no
one has come forward to advance that feature to a place of stability.

The 2.6 branch has incremental support using BDB, but it is also experimental
and no one has come forward to move that along either.

Swish3+Xapian has incremental support, plus full Unicode (UTF-8) support. Swish3
does not yet have a 1.0 release date planned. You can read about that here:

 http://dev.swish-e.org/wiki/swish3

In short, there is no incremental support available in a mature, stable,
official release of Swish-e. And aside from my own work on Swish3, no one is
contributing any code at this time to advance that feature.

Sorry to sound like a downer; just wanted you to have a frank assessment of the
fact that your problem is confirmed, and there is no known solution or plan for
a solution.

pek
gpg key: 37D2 DAA6 3A13 D415 4295  3A69 448F E556 374A 34D9