Re: [swish-e] Passing in MetaNames/Properties as headers in prog method.

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 00:46:21 GMT
Andrew Smith wrote on 5/1/09 4:09 PM:

> It would be very useful if you could pass in metanames and properties
> for documents as headers. If you are indexing only XML and you control
> the XML format, you could just add XML tags to the indexed documents
> for this purpose, but if you don't control the XML format or are
> indexing more than just XML (text and/or html too) then this wouldn't
> work. And in this case it would still be nice to have a way to attach
> metanames and properties to indexed documents. Again, I don't think
> this is possible in Swish-e now but it would seem to be a very useful
> enhancement.

The way to "attach metanames and properties to indexed documents" is to filter
them before handing to swish-e.

The headers feature is intentionally minimal; it is used to define the same
basic information swish-e would get from the -S fs method. Trying to extend it
to handle arbitrary (and potentially very long) strings, when the document
parsers already do that well, isn't something I'm very interested in trying to
implement. But if you do, and send patches (including tests and docs), I'd be
happy to take a look.