Re: [swish-e] ANNOUNCE: 2.4.7 released

From: Roy Tennant <roytennant(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 00:28:06 GMT
I wanted to report back on my problem and what I did to fix it, and to
thank those of you who chimed in with strategies. I did a few things:

1) I changed the script I was using to break up a massive spreadsheet
into XML files so that it would parcel the files out into a set of
directories with no more than 250,000 files per directory (I picked
the figure pretty much at random), so that it spread the files across
12 directories at present (something near 2.8 million small XML
files).
2) I indexed the files on my laptop, which has 3GB of RAM (which did
fine) and then uploaded the index to the server. Unfortunately, this
did not work despite having the same version of Swish-e in both
places. Since the error was a "wrong index format" error, I think the
problem may have stemmed from either moving from a Mac to Unix (the
classic line-ending problem) or an error introduced in tarring,
gzipping, ftping, and untarring and ungzipping.
3) Lastly, I used the "-e" switch and indexed on the server. This
worked, probably since Swish-e could do the disk caching more
intelligently to reduce thrash and create efficiencies. But it still
took nearly seven hours and and hour and 13 minutes CPU time.

Some statistics:
 - 2,779,517 small XML files in 12 directories
 - 8,733,343 words
 - 1,138,100,470 total bytes
 - 72,898,219 total words.
 - 1GB RAM on unknown hardware, running Ubuntu Dapper Drake

So, to recap, my savior was to use the "-e" switch to make Swish-e do
the disk caching instead of my OS. Thanks to all, but particularly to
Peter Karman for pointing out that switch to me. I didn't particularly
want to break up the indexes, but as my project grows I may get to
that point. Oh, and the result is at
<http://roytennant.com/proto/hathi/> if anyone is curious. Thanks,
Roy