Re: [swish-e] parallelism and Swish-e

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 02:01:59 GMT
Peter Karman wrote on 3/26/09 9:51 PM:
> Andrew Smith wrote on 3/26/09 12:43 PM:

>> And it returns the raw scores now (they start
>> out in the 10000s). However, the rank order of the results matches the
>> results for IDF (i.e. -R 1) but not the default ranking scheme. This is fine
>> for me (I'm using IDF, -R 1) but it might be nice to give the option of
>> getting raw scores for the default ranking scheme too. Would it be hard to
>> modify the code to give the raw scores for the default ranking scheme?
>> Alternatively, maybe you should instead of calling these new ranking
>> schemes, just add a new flag, say '--raw' which if passed gives the raw
>> scores for whatever ranking scheme is in effect.
>
> I went for the easiest change, since adding a new common line option requires a
> little more invasive work.

I went ahead and refactored to use a command line flag instead of tying the raw
rank to a specific RankScheme. The command line flag is -a (-r and -R were
taken. Mnenomic: -a for "a"bsolute rank score.)

r2291 in svn trunk implements this change. http://dev.swish-e.org/changeset/2291

It's available in the C lib and SWISH::API Perl lib as ReturnRawRank().

 $swish->ReturnRawRank(1);  # turn it on
 $swish->ReturnRawRank(0);  # turn it off (default)

Unless I hear that this new feature breaks something, it'll be in 2.4.7 when I
(finally) release it this coming weekend.

So *please test svn trunk*.