Re: [swish-e] parallelism and Swish-e

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Mar 26 2009 - 02:24:35 GMT
Andrew Smith wrote on 3/25/09 4:01 PM:

>> If I were going to implement this feature, I would probably add a new
>> RankScheme
>> that doesn't normalize the rank scores but instead returns the raw rank
>> scores.
>> Then the search manager could merge and sort using the raw rank scores.
>

> So is this all you would need to do --- just get all the raw rank scores,
> merge and sort based on those, and finally normalize all the scores to 1000
> at the end? There is no way currently to get Swish-e to return you raw rank
> scores? This doesn't seem like it would a very hard change --- presumably
> Swish-e calls some subroutine that normalizes the scores, so the change
> would be to just get rid of this subroutine call (which would presumably
> cause raw rank scores to be returned). Finally, if you wanted normalized
> scores you presumably could just call the normalize subroutine after the
> search manager has merged and sorted the raw rank scores. Does this sound
> about right? If this is it, maybe I could take a stab at it.

you're right. it wasn't a very hard change, provided you knew where to make it,
which I didn't at first.

After a little hunting, r2285 in svn trunk implements raw rank as RankScheme 2.
Check out svn trunk and post back here to let us know if it works for you or
not. I still haven't made the 2.4.7 release, so it can be in there if I hear
positive feedback about it in the next few days.

pek