Re: [swish-e] How to use MetaNamesRank properly?

From: Andrew Smith <andrewksmith(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 19:07:45 GMT
I basically have the same issue and questions as this previous post of
a couple years ago, and I have some followup questions (see below).

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am having a problem when trying to make MetaNamesRank directive
>> changes search ratings for xml files. For testing  I created a directory
>> with just two small xml files
>>
>> aa.xml:
>> <content>
>>     <contentlabel>test</contentlabel>
>>     <contentbody>some body</contentbody>
>> </content>
>>
>> bb.xml:
>> <content>
>>     <contentlabel>some label</contentlabel>
>>     <contentbody>test</contentbody>
> </content>
>>
>> Config file I was using looks like that:
>>
>> MetaNames content contentlabel contentbody
>>
>> MetaNamesRank 5 contentlabel
>> MetaNamesRank 0 contentbody
>>
>> IndexContents XML .xml
>>
>> IndexDir C:/SWISH-E/bin/index/
>> IndexFile C:/SWISH-E/bin/test_index.dat
>>
>> Note that I have tried to use all sort of different ratings and
>> different parser as well (by using XML2). It seems that setting any
>> values for MetaNamesRank doesn't change result of my search:
>>
>> swish-e.exe -f test_index.dat -w (content=test)
>>
>> For any settings of MetaNamesRank both my files are getting the same
>> Rank=1000:
>> 1000 C:/SWISH-E/bin/index/bb.xml "bb.xml" 97
>> 1000 C:/SWISH-E/bin/index/aa.xml "aa.xml" 96
>>
>> Is it something that I am doing wrong?
>

>a couple things.
>
>1. You aren't searching for either of the MetaNames that you set a rank
>bias for. 'content' is just a wrapper and I wouldn't expect it to show a
>bias.

I am also trying to use MetaNamesRank the same as above and finding
that it has no effect (the ranking is the same with or without the
MetaNamesRank configuration, for both default ranking scheme and IDF)
and I'm doing this on a larger test corpus of 1000 real documents. So
are you saying that the MetaNamesRank settings will only be used for
queries that explicitly refer to those MetaNames given ranks/biases?
For example, would it have an effect for a query like this:

swish-e.exe -f test_index.dat -w (contentlabel=test OR contentbody=test)

but not the previously given query:

swish-e.exe -f test_index.dat -w (content=test)

If this is the case, is there any way to achieve the effect that the
original poster desired? In other words, you enclose your XML
documents in an all-encompassing XML tag (like <content> above), which
is one of your metanames, but that also has sub-tags which you also
use as your metanames. And you want all indexed text to be in both the
all-encompassing XML tag (<content>) metaname and in all the sub-tag
metanames. Then, when you do a search against the all-encompassing
metaname (e.g. content=search_text), Swish-e will consider the sub-tag
metanames where search_text is found and consider their MetaNamesRank
values in computing relevance. Is there any way to achieve this?
Thanks for your help and suggestions.