Re: [swish-e] Date Range search oddity

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 16:59:36 GMT
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:17:03AM -0500, Bela Gazdy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> NOS (New Old Swish) user here, with a unique problem:
>
> Background:
>
> swish-e-2.4.5 compiled on AIX 5.3 with gcc-3.3.2 (or native cc_r);
> perl-5.8.2 (cc_r) with all the required modules.
>
> Indexed hypermail (v. 2.1.7) archives in chunks, merged into one index file,
> all indexing done with the same config parameters.
>
> Symptom:
>
> When searching for a string that has NO match in the entire index, i.e., when
> selecting "Limit to: All", it returns the expected red "no results" message for
> every "Limit to:" and "Date Range" selections as well; however,
>
> When searching for a string for which "THERE IS" at least one document with a
> match, i.e., the "Limit to: All" selection does return results, all other
> "Limit to:" or "Date Range" selection for which "THERE IS NOT" a match in the
> specified date-interval, returns the error:
>
> 	"Ran out of memory (could not allocate 0 more bytes)!"

One has to wonder if that's the error message that's broken or if
there's some code that's really thinks it needs to allocate zero
bytes.  That is, did it really run out of memory or is it choking on
the zero byte request?

Do you have a lot of files?  The limit by range function is of
questionable design.  It works by sorting the list of properties for
all files twice, IIRC, and it may not scale well if you have a lot of
items in the index.  And perhaps there's an assumption in the math
used in that feature just doesn't work on AIX.

I wonder how much slower it would be if you limited by date in the
script.  That is, fetch all search results from swish, filter by date,
and then trim to the specific page you want to display.

Help with Swish-e:
   http://swish-e.org/current/docs