Re: [swish-e] Swish3 vs Omega

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 15:14:38 GMT
Kevin Bowling wrote on 02/05/2009 09:08 AM:
>>> I look forward to the better rankings!
>> have you tried the different RankScheme options in Swish-e 2.4?
>>
>>> What really kills performance is PDF/PS to HTML conversions on my box.
>>> It would be really nice to thread the indexing and converting so it
>>> doesn't block on this case.
>> you can do that yourself. Just filter your PDF/PS separately and cache
>> the output, then index your cache. That's a common approach.
>
> I assume I am not the only person in the world indexing PDF and PS.
> Everything in FOSS search seems to be DIY, but really everybody has similar
> requirements.  I'm actually only indexing the PS as text (with pstotext) since
> Swish-e doesn't have a suitable script included.  Again, I'm sure plenty of
> people do this.  Why not include robust scripts to deal with PDF, PS, DOC, et
> al.

SWISH::Filter should handle all of those save .ps I think. It would be
easy to add one -- why not give it a try based on what you do already
and submit a patch?

The latest SWISH::Filter is on CPAN:
http://search.cpan.org/~karman/SWISH-Filter-0.11/

> Also, using 'file' or MIME information to index rather than file extensions,
> even when run on the local file system, would be pretty nice.  I know there is
> a lot of data on my box that isn't indexed because of this.

>>> Yes improvements and a nicer interface are really all I would like to
>>> see. It's 2009 and the interface looks like it is 10+ years old (not that
>>> that is a bad thing, but a 'modern' interface would be nice as well).
>> by 'interface' do you mean the swish.cgi script? or the options to the
>> swish-e cli? or ...?
>
> Yes.. swish.cgi. A nice, full featured and modern interface that could be
> themed or integrated into other pages would really round out the turn-key
> search solution.
>
> This all seems like low hanging fruit.  We both agree that Swish-e is fast and
> has good results.  I think improving the included interface and filters would
> go a long way.  Hopefully you can start pushing releases as well.  Long
> release cycles are no good for FOSS.

agreed, in theory. low hanging fruit and pushing releases still requires
tuits however. have any to share?

> I hope I don't come off sounding selfish or sound like 'do this work for me
> please'.  I just use this on a non-commercial site
> (http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/).  Hopefully I am at least providing useful
> critique as an end user.

become more than an end user and send along a PS filter. :)