Re: [swish-e] Regd - Stemming in SWISH API

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 16:50:07 GMT
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:18:54AM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> The methods have not changed, from what I can see. The Fuzzify() method
> was added in SWISH::API 0.04 so that you could stem a word without
> needing to search first. But it calls the same C lib code underneath as
> $result->FuzzyWord does.
> I believe it's Double Metaphone that can return multiple results and for
> API consistency the fuzzy methods always return a WordList even though
> it usually only has one item. But that decision predates me.

Oh, right.  I looked at the docs and thought fizzify() returned a
scalar.  Once I read the docs I see that's not the case (because we
rolled the stemming and metaphone into the same "fuzzy" thing.

I looked at svn blame and it looked like you had added that.  Shows
how good my memory is (and no, it's not because of what you think).

Help with Swish-e:

Users mailing list