[swish-e] blocking process

From: François Tissandier <francois.tissandier(at)not-real.tebu-bio.com>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 09:39:24 GMT
Hello!

I'm having a weird problem with my search engine. Sometimes, a search
(or maybe several searches??) is taking ages to be complete, and it's
blocking all the others. Most of the time, I'm just restarting the
webserver to clear all the swish-e processes. Otherwise it can take
minutes before a result is returned.

I'm logging all the searches, and I can't find any reason why it's
happening. If I try any of the potentially blocking searches, it's
working fine. The server is NOT overloaded by those searches, the
processor is not even busy when it's happening, so it does not look like
a ressource problem.

Some complementary info:

-windows 2003 server
-IIS version... 7 or 8? I don't remember
-website in PHP
-searches are runned using Ajax most of the time (results refreshing "on
the fly")

Except logging the searches, I don't really know where to look at. I
don't understand why a search is blocking all the others. Is it
impossible to run concurrent searches on an index at the same time?

Is there any way to set a timeout for a search? I'm considering doing
that to avoid those nasty freezings of the search engine, but I don't
really know how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

	regards,

		François