[swish-e] Efficiency of PropertyNames

From: Greg Saylor <gregs(at)not-real.net-virtual.com>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 00:56:40 GMT
Hello,

My apologies if this has been asked before, I looked but could not find
the answer.

What I am wondering is how efficient is Swish-E with respect to
PropertyNames?  By efficient, I mean in terms of disk utilization, search
performance, and indexing performance.

As an example, if I have a wide range of categories of indexes (I'll use
books and chainsaws for this example) with each category of items in its
own separate index file - is it efficient to configure each index with the
same list of PropertyNames?

For example, maybe "books" would have an ISBN PropertyName, something that
clearly chainsaws would not have.

Another angle on it: a chainsaw could a manufacturer and model, whereas
the book might have publisher and author.  I can imagine using one
attribute that could mean the manufacturer or publisher, depending on the
category of item.  And another to mean author or model.  Is the efficiency
such that adding all 4 attributes is just as efficient as adding 2 and
overloading them?

Last, (although I presume the answer to this will be clear based on the
answers to the above), if a given index has a large number of
PropertyNames that are not set (say 95%), does this have an effect on the
overall efficiency of the index or is it better to just leave such
properties out of the index altogether?

Thanks!

- Greg