Re: [swish-e] index files portability

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Sep 07 2008 - 14:37:46 GMT
On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 12:35:38AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Hi. I am writing Yet Another Python Swish-E Interface, and  I'd like
> to include a test suite with my package.  However, my package does not
> (yet?) handle indexing, only searching.  So, the simplest way of
> shipping tests would seem to be to pre-create an index and include it
> and the indexed documents in the package.  But there is a problem: are
> the index files architecture independent?

There's a lot of architectures, of course, and developers only have
access to a limited set, but the index "should" be portable between
different platforms with the exception of between 32 and 64 bit
builds of swish the index isn't portable.

But, if the target system has swish (which I assume must be the case)
then I would think it safer to just build the index.

> The only thread I found in
> this list's history is
>
> http://swish-e.org/archive/1999-09/1210.html

This seems to find more: