Re: [swish-e] Javascript front-end?

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 16:11:45 GMT
On 07/23/2008 10:49 AM, Janet Swisher wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
>  > Swish-e is probably not the best route if your requirements include
> client-side
>  > only search + multiple architectures. I would instead look at some
> pure Javascript
>  > solution.
>
> I was thinking that that was what the patched-swish-e+jsFind combination
> would give me. The patch enables swish-e to output the index as XML,
> which is then all that jsFind (Javascript) needs to query. No need for
> swish-e itself to be delivered at all.

Sorry, I needed to go back and look at how jsFind works. You are right; in theory, if you
could dump your Swish-e index as XML you could use jsFind with it.

The Swish-e developers discussed adding the XML dump feature to Swish-e. My mail archive
from 11/21/2004 suggests that David Norris was considering a patch to dump.c that would
add the -T index_xml feature. No idea if he got around to that.

Dave?

> Thanks for the link -- I'd hadn't found this resource. The hard part,
> though, is coming up with the database to query. As the chapter says "If
> your site has more than a few hundred web pages, you'll probably want to
> have a server-side program generate the code containing all the
> records." That is what I thought swish-e could help with.

if Dave can't dig out the code he had, you could likely write something to parse the
output of swish-e -T index_all to create the XML you need.