Re: [swish-e] Javascript front-end?

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 13:41:20 GMT
On 07/22/2008 04:03 PM, Janet Swisher wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I am interested in providing a search capability for a set of HTML files
> that will be local to the user's machine, which may be Windows, Mac, or
> one of several flavors of Linux. Therefore, I'm looking for a Javascript
> solution. I found discussion in this list's archive from 2004 about
> jsFind,  including a link to a patched Windows binary for swish-e that
> outputs XML (thanks, David Norris!). I was even able to find jsFind
> itself using the Wayback Machine.
>
> However, before I proceed further down this path, is this still the
> best/only way to do this? Are there other options for doing what I want,
> either with swish-e or with some other tool that I haven't uncovered in
> my web searches?

Since you'll be needing to support various OS flavours on a single CD, you're going to run
into the inevitable obstacle that Swish-e must be pre-compiled for every
architecture+version you intend to support. Putting the search engine on the client is
just much harder if you are dealing multiple architectures. There are ways to design
around this, but they can quickly get complicated. If you were just supporting Windows,
jsFind + Swish-e for Windows would be a decent approach. But you have bigger requirements.

What I did with CrayDoc (http://docs.cray.com/support/) was instead work with a more
traditional server/client design, which still had the same obstacle, but limited to a
single (server) install. The buildswishe.pl script (now in the Swish-e svn tree) handled
the problem of trying to auto-install on several different Linux/Unix flavors.

That said, Swish-e is probably not the best route if your requirements include client-side
only search + multiple architectures. I would instead look at some pure Javascript
solution. I seem to recall that Orielly used to ship a CD of their books with a JS search
tool included. It may or may not be what informed this book:

 http://oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/chapter/ch01.html

> Oh, and I love the name :-)

:)