[swish-e] Javascript front-end?

From: Janet Swisher <swisher(at)>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 21:03:34 GMT

I am interested in providing a search capability for a set of HTML files
that will be local to the user's machine, which may be Windows, Mac, or
one of several flavors of Linux. Therefore, I'm looking for a Javascript
solution. I found discussion in this list's archive from 2004 about
jsFind,  including a link to a patched Windows binary for swish-e that
outputs XML (thanks, David Norris!). I was even able to find jsFind
itself using the Wayback Machine.

However, before I proceed further down this path, is this still the
best/only way to do this? Are there other options for doing what I want,
either with swish-e or with some other tool that I haven't uncovered in
my web searches?

Oh, and I love the name :-)

Janet Swisher, Sr. Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc.,