Re: [swish-e] Counts for property

From: François Tissandier <francois.tissandier(at)not-real.tebu-bio.com>
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 16:32:03 GMT
> Yes.  But, your example above shows small numbers per category.  So
> maybe you can just limit your search results and count them up --
> might not be that slow.

But the idea is to use those filters when you have too many results. If
you have 5 results, no need to have this kind of info. Example just to
make sure my frenglish is clear:

the user is looking for a mouse, and just type "logitech". He sees 245
results, that's a long list. But then on the left, he can see that there
are 23 keyboards, 45 mouses, 34 speakers, etc... He clicks on "mouses",
the search is launched again with a filter on the category metaname.
Then again, if too many results, he can maybe click on the "optical"
filter, and the search is launched again with two filters on two
metanames.

> Swish isn't a database, so you might also consider looking at your
> results then using a database to pull in the categories like above.
> A database is designed doing those kinds of queries.

Yes I agree, it's very easy to pull those info from a db, but a db sucks
when it comes to search! :) I don't display those info BEFORE searching,
I display them for a specific search to help people refining. I'm sorry
for not being clear enough. A database cannot do this, or with crap
search possibilities.

Is it possible with swish to just output the properties of my choice?
That would make this faster. Like for instance asking for "category" and
"brand":

mouse logitech
mouse logitech
mouse microsoft
keyboard logitech
keyboard microsoft
keyboard logitech

No URL, no title, no ranking, just the data I need. I still need to
process this output to count, but that's better than nothing I guess!
Searches are already very fast, most of them running in 0.2 seconds on
an index including almost a million words... So I can maybe spend a
couple of seconds to process this.

But I think that could be a killing feature for swish-e 3.0... Maybe i'm
the only one looking for this?

François Tissandier
IS Manager
tebu-bio
Tel: +33 1 30 46 39 23
Fax: +33 1 30 46 39 11
francois.tissandier@tebu-bio.com
www.tebu-bio.com: the smarter way to buy research products
P Think about the environment before printing this email / Pensez à
l'environnement avant d'imprimer cet e-mail