Re: [swish-e] Compiling SWISH-E from source under Windows

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 23:09:54 GMT
On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 00:02 -0300, Francisco M. Vives wrote:
> I´m getting the error: make: *** [API.c] Error 127

Oops, I left out a dependency in the documentation.

Install the xvfb package (sudo apt-get install xvfb).

Or you could remove xvfb-run from the PERL_BIN in
swish-e/perl/Makefile.mingw so it looks like this:
  PERL_BIN = /usr/bin/wine $(PERL_PREFIX)/bin/perl.exe

xvfb is only needed if you are building without a graphical display.
For example, an automated nightly build would need xvfb.  Or if you were
to login remotely from a system without X support.  (i.e., Windows)

> When I run the command "wine cmd" I get his message:
> preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
> error:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address
> space, please report

That can be safely ignored.  That DOS error is a security feature of
Linux.  As I understand it, DOS programs can no longer natively run
under Linux since they require direct access to low memory.  One can
disable that security feature but there's not much reason.  Windows
programs, such as Perl, shouldn't need to access low memory.  (And DOS
programs can run emulated in dosbox or dosemu.)

> After running the reloc_perl I get his message:
> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT_sopen :  pmode 0x01b6 ignored

That should be safe to ignore, as well.

--
 David L Norris
  http://webaugur.com/