[swish-e] swish-e - faceted browsing

From: Victor Babitchev <victor.babitchev(at)not-real.bibvb.ac.at>
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 10:42:06 GMT
Hello list!

We use swish-e productive and very successfully
(thanks again to all who made it possible!) for
library applications since 2004. Our application
eDOC is an addition to our OPAC (Online Public
Access Catalog) to provide searching of electronic contents.

Nowadays, OPACs began slowly to be replaced with
search engines. The faceted browsing is asked
more and more as a feature of search engines
enabling user to refine/navigate the results.

Say a query returned 1000 hits. And when the
following facets were offered on the results screen:

Year

2007 - 250

2006 – 130

2005 – 180

Subject

subject1 - 2000

subject2 - 2000

subject3 - 150

Language

eng - 500

ger – 800

fr - 300

then the user, by step-by-step selections, could
better come to the results s/he wishes.
Sure, a lot of you have seen already facets e.g.
on Amazon pages where prices by ranges were presented.
It would be interesting to know whether somebody
thought about that in applying to swish-e?

Best regards,

Victor Babitchev
The Austrian Library Network
Vienna, Austria

P.S.:

Our swish-e applications page (in German only)

http://media.obvsg.at/suche?query=&lbc=co-EBOOK-STI

about facets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faceted_classification