Re: [swish-e] swished prime time?

From: Josh Rabinowitz <joshr-swishe(at)not-real.joshr.com>
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 13:44:45 GMT
Hello, Brad!

My understanding is that (on unix), if you have two index files,
let's call them file1.index and file1.index.prop, and you overwrite
them directly, then processes that have those files open will
probably get confused - as you mention.

BUT, if you move the files aside (say, to file1.index-was and
file1.index.prop-was) and put new files in their place, then
processes with handles to the old index will continue to work with
the old index, and newly started processes that use file1.index will
begin using the new index.

You could even delete file1.index and file1.index.prop and put new
files in their place, and processes that have the rm'ed index files
open will continue to work (the contents of the file aren't marked as
deleted from the disk until the last process closes the file).

On windows, the above probably isn't true. Feel free to ask on- or
off-list for any clarifications!

joshr