Re: [swish-e] Search Results Description Redundant/Not Useful

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 15:06:41 GMT
On 02/04/2008 12:11 PM, Adam Douglas wrote:
> I recently index and attempt to re-index the public side of my web site
> and when I do searches the description in the results appear to be
> redundant and not useful. For example if I search for "hrv" I get
> results of links that match the context of the keyword I use but the
> description does not at least not useful that is. The description is the
> navigation menu items and is repeated for each description of each
> search result.
>
> How can I resolve this or work around this to get useful descriptions?

The swishdescription feature simply stores the first N bytes of text from each document,
and the default highlighting code simply matches the first N instances in
swishdescription. There's no contextual evaluation performed (like google tries to) to
indicate how 'relevant' any particular match is.

If you want more meaningful contextual snippets, try saving more meaningful text by saving
a useful abstract of each page under the swishdescription property.