Re: [swish-e] SWISH-WebService-0.01

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 04:53:08 GMT
Eric Jobidon wrote on 2/2/08 2:05 AM:
> Peter,
> Thanks for the updated file. The module installed fine, and here are some
> notes for the next person wanting to install it.
>
> The WebService module can use either the SWISHED server via
> SWISH::API::REMOTE or the perl object SWISH::API.
> The example provided on the CPAN page demonstrates the SWISHED approach, so
> heres a starting point for using a local index:
>

> #!/usr/bin/perl
>  use strict;
>  use warnings;
>  use CGI qw/ -newstyle_urls /;
>  use SWISH::WebService;
>  use SWISH::API;
>
>  binmode STDOUT, ":utf8";
>  my $cgi = CGI->new;
>  my $o=SWISH::API->new('index/archive.idx');
>  my $search = SWISH::WebService->new($cgi);
>  $search->swish($o); # Use the local SWISH index, not a remote one
>

>  my $response = $search->search
>   or croak $search->error;

croak() likely won't work there without 'use Carp' above.

>  print $cgi->header($search->format);
>  print $response;
>

> I experimented a bit with the remote objects, but had problems with my
> Apache config. In my case, the index was local, so didn't really need the
> remote options. But before I gave up, I realized that the properties of the
> query (the $Props element in the WebService module) are not exported, so I
> had to manually modify them in the .pm file to reflect my preferences
> (whishlist: export the props)

You should be able to just do:

  $SWISH::WebService::Props = 'myprop, myprop2';

in your script before calling new(). It's a package var, but not private. (And
one of the things that should get refactored in a future version, as public
package vars are Not Good.)

> And just to document my findings, at first I had not realized the SWISH::API
> was accessible directly from the WebService module, so I tried to use the
> SWISH::API::REMOTE with an index value set to a local script:
> $search->index('http://localhost/lab/cgi-bin/search.cgi'); # watch out this
> will likely not work
>
> I was hoping to be able to use my own script with this, but the remote API
> forces the parameter names to conform to what is expected by SWISHED. So a
> query like:
> 	 GET /lab/cgi-bin/webservices.cgi?q=note2
> triggerred this query:
> 	GET
> /lab/cgi-bin/search.cgi?f=index/archive.idx&w=note2&p=swishdocpath&b=0&m=10
>
> and obviously the parameter names did not match with what I had chosen in my
> script.
>
> I am just documenting this with the hope that it may save someone a few
> hours of tinkering.
> But Thanks again Peter for making this available. And as I experiment more
> with the XML/HTML parsing, I'll be sure to share my suggestions and
> potential improvements.

And thanks to you, Eric, for a detailed write-up.

pek