[swish-e] grouping of search results by site?

From: Kevin Porter <kev(at)not-real.9ballpool.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 00:51:55 GMT
Hi,

Can anyone advise how best to implement grouping of search results, for
example to show no more than 3 results from any one site in any one page
of results?

I'm implementing it in the front-end of my search results via PHP, but
after half a day of coding it's getting complex, and a proper solution
would require processing all search results (for example, to predict how
many prev/next page links to display) which would result in a query
taking too long if there are thousands of results returned from swish-e.
So I'd like to know of any better solutions.

Maybe someone knows of some decent PHP code that does it, or maybe
someone's made an informal build of swish-e with this functionality? Or
any other ideas? It's such a desirable (if not essential - some searches
of my index turn up more than a page worth's of results from the same
site) thing for a search engine to have I'm guessing there are solutions
out there?

many thanks for any pointers in the right direction,

- Kev

--
Kevin Porter
Advanced Web Construction Ltd