Re: [swish-e] Aid with Swish3 Unicode feature

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 04:46:07 GMT
Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote on 1/14/08 2:46 PM:
>> It sounds like Xapian might be more up your alley: http://www.xapian.org/
>> Swish3 will use it as one possible backend.
>
> Why not Lucene? (CLucene)
>
> I'm learning its internals the last days and frankly this is THE thing.
> Since it sounds as in Swish3 you will no longer use index files of your own
> (since if Xapian is going to be a backend, it will do the whole work by
> itself), why not CLucene which is better and has far more users and support
> (I would think)?

The intention right now is that Swish3 will offer multiple alternate backends,
including a native index format based on the 2.6 BDB branch.

As far as whether CLucene is "better" than Xapian for some value of better, you
can argue that with the respective mailing lists/communities. :) I'm sure
well-defined metrics and benchmarks could aid your argument.

Swish3 will offer an API that could be implemented for CLucene if someone wished
to do the work. I have been following Xapian for a couple of years, and liked
that the project generated bindings for all kinds of scripting languages "out of
the box", has an active community, and a well-documented API. The Lucene camp
and the various ports are doing good work, I'm sure; I just haven't invested
much time there beyond a few hours of building a demo Java app a few years ago.