Re: [swish-e] HOWTO - integrating Mailman with a Swish-e search engine

From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo(at)not-real.wpkg.org>
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 08:47:55 GMT
Peter Karman schrieb:

> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote on 11/29/07 6:04 PM:
>
>> Let me know what you think about it.
>>

> nice.
>
> fwiw, the mail archive at swish-e.org is also searchable with mailman+swish-e,
> though we use a slightly different set up.
>
> it'd be nice if you didn't comment out the 'powered by' blurb in the search
> results template. Or maybe replace it with a sexier img from
> http://swish-e.org/graphics/index.html -- but of course, that's up to you.

This "integration" with Mailman results in this: the swish.cgi has to
render on Mailman pages (i.e., on
http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/). The results page will be
available on http://lists.wpkg.org/swish.cgi.

It will have two different swish.cgis, because the one on Mailman pages
should not add <body>, <html> etc.

I decided to remove the 'powered by' from the pages where Swish is
integrated with a Mailman page. Why?

Just compare these two pages (the second doesn't have "powered by" removed):

http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users

http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/index2.html

IMO, the "powered by" and W3C HTML take too much space when placed on
Mailman's pages. Also, Mailman doesn't make 100% valid HTML :)
Still, it has the SWISH-E logo.

On the results page: http://lists.wpkg.org/swish.cgi I didn't remove any
logos etc. - it just looks OK there.

--