Re: [swish-e] (null) problem - yes, I've read the FAQ

From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo(at)not-real.wpkg.org>
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 08:19:25 GMT
Peter Karman schrieb:

>>> So, I read the fine manual, and the solution was easy - add this to the
>>> config file, and reindex:
>>>
>>>    StoreDescription HTML* <body> 2000
>>>
>>> So I reindexed, the (null) entries are gone, but nothing shows up
>>> instead. According to the documentation: "That tells swish to store the
>>> first 200,000 characters of text extracted from the body of each
>>> document parsed by the HTML parser".
>>>
>>> 2000 characters are enough for me - but it just doesn't show anything.
>>> Am I doing anything wrong?
>> Looks like adding:
>>
>> IndexContents HTML .html
>>
>> did the trick ;)
>>
>> (perhaps adding that directive to that (null) FAQ entry would help new
>> users?).
>>

> http://swish-e.org/docs/swish-config.html#storedescription
>
> outlines both of the common issues you've hit on. Is that what you were reading?

Not really.
Here is a FAQ for swish.cgi:

http://www.swish-e.org/docs/swish.cgi.html#why_does_the_output_show_null_

While following this point removes the "(null)", it doesn't say why one
should insert "IndexContents HTML* <body> 2000".
On that very page, "IndexContents HTML..." is only mentioned in the
"Spidering" part - but I would normally couple spidering with web
crawling, not the local disk crawling.

So perhaps
http://www.swish-e.org/docs/swish.cgi.html#why_does_the_output_show_null_
should just say to add "IndexContents HTML* <body> 2000" (or,
"IndexContents HTML* <pre> 2000" if one wants to use swish-e with
mailman). Alternatively, this pay should say something like:

   If you solved your (null) problem, but still you don't see the first
   characters in your search results, you're missing IndexContents
   directive - see
http://swish-e.org/docs/swish-config.html#storedescription
   for more info.

BTW, is there a document anywhere on integrating swish-e with mailman?
If not, I'm perhaps willing to write one.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org