[swish-e] Empty index file(s) error

From: Parker, Peter A CONTRACTOR WRAIR-Wash DC <Peter.Parker(at)not-real.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL>
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 21:03:29 GMT
Greetings,
I have recently completed installation of Swish-e on an apache server
machine with the follows details:

Swish-e version: 2.4.5
Apache version: 2.0.52

I now have approximately 50 files in the directory indexed, including
Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents and PDFs. I have gone through the
steps outlined for indexing non-text file. Initially, when there were
only about 7 files in the html directory the indexing worked fine and
command line searches worked flawlessly. Now after adding more files to
the directory (about 50 files), the indexing is not working as it was.

I notice that the indexer fails to remove the .temp extensions from the
files index.swish-e and index.swish-e. There also appears to be a lot of
strange characters that remain at the command line after indexing has
completed.

Here is the error that I received:

#bin/swish-e -w new
# SWISH format 2.4.5
# Search words: new
# Removed stopwords:
Err: Index file(s) is empty

Here is contents of my configuration file:

IndexFile index.swish-e
IndexDir /var/www/html
FollowSymLinks yes
WordCharacters abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.-
IgnoreFirstChar .-
IgnoreLastChar  .-
BeginCharacters abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
EndCharacters   abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
ReplaceRules remove /var/www/html
FollowSymLinks yes
IndexReport 2
IgnoreWords file:
/var/www/swish-e/share/doc/swish-e/examples/conf/stopwords/english.txt
TranslateCharacters :ascii7:
BumpPositionCounterCharacters |.
FileFilter .pdf share/doc/swish-e/examples/filter-bin/_pdf2html.pl
IndexContents HTML .pdf
NoContents .jpg .gif .bmp

I appreciate any support you can provide.

Thanks,
Peter