[swish-e] Out of memory error (was Re: error: can't load -> not found)

From: Miranda Hawarden-Ogata <hawarden(at)>
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 01:39:47 GMT
Thanks, I will look into using swish.cgi with Swish::API next week.

I'm having another odd little problem. I made a little script to run swish-e
and capture the output to a log file that I have been running from the
commandline without incident, though it does take about 2.5 hours to spider
my site:

date >> & /var/log/swish-e
/usr/local/swish/swish-e/bin/swish-e -S prog -c /etc/httpd/swish/swish.conf
 >> & /var/log/swish-e
date >> & /var/log/swish-e

However, yesterday I set it up as a cron job to run every afternoon, and
after about an hour and a half it dies with the message "Out of memory!".
Does anyone have any ideas about what is wrong?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Karman" <>
To: "Swish-e Users Discussion List" <>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 16:00
Subject: Re: [swish-e] error: can't load -> not found

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote on 5/24/07 8:49 PM:
> Thanks, I just realized that while I had actually put that in my
> /etc/ file, I missed the bit saying I needed to run ldconfig
> afterwards. Having done that, I now get search.cgi syntax OK when I run
> perl -c search.cgi.
> However, I'm running into a problem with the script on the web browser.
> When
> I actually do a search, I get errors about "Unknown metaname
> 'swishdocpath'"
> (or swishtitle). The error_log file has this output:
> [Thu May 24 15:22:50 2007] [error] [client X.X.X.X] undef error - Unknown
> property name in display properties Invalid property name
> 'swishdescription'
> at /usr/local/swish/swish-e/share/swish-e/templates/ line 79.,
> referer: http://irtfweb2/cgi-bin/search.cgi
> [Thu May 24 15:22:50 2007] [error] [client X.X.X.X] Premature end of
> script
> headers: search.cgi, referer: http://irtfweb2/cgi-bin/search.cgi
> [Thu May 24 15:22:50 2007] [error] [client X.X.X.X] File does not exist:
> /var/www/html/(EmptyReference!), referer:
> http://irtfweb2/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=miranda&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault
> I have a vanilla search.cgi (other than setting my index file path)....

IIRC, search.cgi is just an example script, and it likely assumes that
got an index with the swishdescription property. That isn't a default
see the StoreDescription directive about how to set that up in your config

If you are new to Perl (iirc your previous mail said that), I would suggest
working with the swish.cgi script to get started, since it is a
app rather than just an example. search.cgi is an example for folks who are
Perl-savvy and want to write their own apps.

You can still use SWISH::API with swish.cgi, iirc. Check the docs (and maybe
grok the source?) for how to turn that on.

Peter Karman  .  .  peter(at)
Users mailing list