Re: [swish-e] Users Digest, Vol 5, Issue 10

From: Greg Ryjikh <gregr(at)not-real.ddsn.com>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 23:38:49 GMT
Thanks Peter,

Your first point explained my result. When I changed my search query
from -w (content=test) to -w (contentlabel=test or contentbody=test)
then I started to see an effect which MetaNamesRank gives. It all sounds
good in general but not "good enough" in our particular case. I provided
this simple test data just to show a problem. In reality xml files we
need to search have about couple hundreds of different tags and we don't
even know all of them in advance. We do want to search all of them but
give some priority to few. I was planned to use
UndefinedMetaTags auto
and use known top level  tag (or wrapper) "content" for searching
criteria but it seems that ranking is not working in that case. Is it
any other way to give more "priority" to some meta tags but still search
content in all other tags without explicitly creating huge search query
with all xml tag names ?

Best Regards,
Greg Ryjikh
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:43:57 -0500
> From: Peter Karman <peter@peknet.com>
> Subject: Re: [swish-e] How to use MetaNamesRank properly?
> To: Swish-e Users Discussion List <users@lists.swish-e.org>
>

> Greg Ryjikh scribbled on 05/15/07 01:59:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am having a problem when trying to make MetaNamesRank directive
>> changes search ratings for xml files. For testing  I created a directory
>> with just two small xml files
>>
>> aa.xml:
>> <content>
>>     <contentlabel>test</contentlabel>
>>     <contentbody>some body</contentbody>
>> </content>
>>
>> bb.xml:
>> <content>
>>     <contentlabel>some label</contentlabel>
>>     <contentbody>test</contentbody>
>> </content>
>>
>> Config file I was using looks like that:
>>
>> MetaNames content contentlabel contentbody
>>
>> MetaNamesRank 5 contentlabel
>> MetaNamesRank 0 contentbody
>>
>> IndexContents XML .xml
>>
>> IndexDir C:/SWISH-E/bin/index/
>> IndexFile C:/SWISH-E/bin/test_index.dat
>>
>> Note that I have tried to use all sort of different ratings and
>> different parser as well (by using XML2). It seems that setting any
>> values for MetaNamesRank doesn't change result of my search:
>>
>> swish-e.exe -f test_index.dat -w (content=test)
>>
>> For any settings of MetaNamesRank both my files are getting the same
>> Rank=1000:
>> 1000 C:/SWISH-E/bin/index/bb.xml "bb.xml" 97
>> 1000 C:/SWISH-E/bin/index/aa.xml "aa.xml" 96
>>
>> Is it something that I am doing wrong?
>>

> a couple things.
>
> 1. You aren't searching for either of the MetaNames that you set a rank
> bias for. 'content' is just a wrapper and I wouldn't expect it to show a
> bias.
>
> 2. Your test docs are too small to show an appreciable difference in
> rank scores. Try docs that are 10x bigger, and make them significantly
> different in size.

Greg Ryjikh, Senior Software Engineer
DDSN Interactive Pty. Ltd.
ABN 90 117 459 506

E: gregr@ddsn.com
W: http://www.ddsn.com
W: http://www.cm3cms.com
W: http://extranet.ddsn.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level 1, 450 Chapel St, South Yarra, VIC 3141
P: 1300 656 412
P: +61 3 9827 8611
F: +61 3 9827 8663

This email is sent commercial in confidence