Re: [swish-e] Using Swish-E to index many different file types?

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 01:18:43 GMT
Jon Spriggs scribbled on 4/15/07 3:33 PM:
> Hi all,
>
> I was pointed in this application's direction by a friend of mine to try
> and
> help another friend with some file recovery...
>
> In essence, about a week ago, the hard disk of a friends machine was
> formatted before some critical documents were transferred to another
> media... I ran PhotoRec from CGSecurity, which has recovered about 7Gb of
> data with various filenames, including the document types as file
> extensions.
>
> I've transferred these files into directories organised by file extension,
> but now I need some way to render the data with some form of index...
>
> Is there some template of a config file which covers all the supported file
> extensions (e.g. PDF, DOC, XLS, MP3, TXT) that I could use to make this
> data
> available back to my friend?
>
> I've never used Swish before, and so I'm pretty lost! I've read the "how to
> index anything" article mentioned on the website, and have downloaded
> catdoc
> and xls2csv, so... please can someone help?

well, this is a new one on me.

You're on Windows?

It's not clear to me what you're trying to do. "render the data with some form
of index" -- that is pretty vague.

Swish-e isn't going to help you recover your data. It can only tell you what
terms (words) are in each file. You have the data already it seems; are you just
trying to make it easy to search that data (files)?

If you just want to index the data, try using the DirTree.pl script in the
distribution. It'll use SWISH::Filter and that should recognize most common file
types.