Re: question from a new user: open search result links to local files

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 01:01:13 GMT
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 12:45:07PM -0800, Michael Erdmann wrote:
> Bill Moseley schrieb:
> > Better way?
> >
> > To allow access to any file you index (which could be anywhere on your
> > hard disk) but to not provide full access to your hard disk via the
> > web interface?
> >
> > Or just provide web access to any file on your hard disk that is also
> > in the swish-e index?  In that case you would need a script to fetch
> > the documents for you by first testing that they are in the index.
> >
> > Seems like you should to rethink where you put your documents -- or at
> > least what you index and place them in a few directories that you can
> > alias.
> I planned to use swish-e as a kind of desktop search-engine. For private
> usage I have no problem to
> put my documents in a place where the webserver can access them. But I
> want to use swish-e also
> in my company to index the project directories in the network. I want to
> place the index in a public
> directory and share it with my team members. In this case I can not
> change the whole network and
> directory structure and my admins will also have a problem to create
> aliases for whole network shares :-).
> That's why I'm looking for an alternative way. An other idea was to
> write a small windows tool which
> will copy the link by right clicking it from the search result and open
> it via windows if I can't access it via
> the webserver.

Maybe I'm missing something.  What are you asking?

How do you want it to work?

Do the machines on the network have full access to the machine with
the indexed files?  I.e. over the windows network?  If so, can you make
your search results return UNC paths?  Is that what you are asking?

Otherwise, it sounds like you are asking how to provide access to the
files over the web without providing access to them.