Re: question from a new user: open search result links to local files

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 20:10:52 GMT
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 11:36:22AM -0800, Michael Erdmann wrote:
> If I want to open files from outside the document root I found a
> workaround.
> I made the following modifications in the apache http.conf file:
>
> Alias /localC "C:/"
> <Directory "C:/">
> Options FollowSymLinks
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Now the whole drive C is available for the webserver via http (this is
> imo a security problem) and with ┬┤ReplaceRules replace "c:/" "/localC"┬┤
> in my swish.conf
> I can open the search result by clicking the modified swishdocpath-link
> http://localhost/localC/temp/test.doc. So far so good - the problem is
> solved, but now I wanted
> to know if there is a better solution for my problem.

Better way?

To allow access to any file you index (which could be anywhere on your
hard disk) but to not provide full access to your hard disk via the
web interface?

Or just provide web access to any file on your hard disk that is also
in the swish-e index?  In that case you would need a script to fetch
the documents for you by first testing that they are in the index.

Seems like you should to rethink where you put your documents -- or at
least what you index and place them in a few directories that you can
alias.