Re: question from a new user: open search result links to local files

From: Michael Erdmann <michael_erdmann(at)not-real.t-online.de>
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 19:42:18 GMT
Yes and no :-). The files are available on the webserver because they
are on the same machine, but most of the results are not available via
http:// or file:// protocol.

The location of my webservers docroot is C:\Programme\xampp\htdocs, the
swish-cgi is located in C:\Programme\xampp\cgi-bin.
The search results are from the whole drive C:\. At the moment I can
only open search results in C:\Programme\xampp\htdocs by clicking the link,
but I can not open results like c:\temp\test.doc with a click on the
swishdocpath-link. If I use a replace rule to change the link to
file:///c:/temp/test.doc,
I also can not open the document, because this document is outside of
the webservers document root. This is imo the normal behavior of a
webserver.

If I want to open files from outside the document root I found a
workaround.
I made the following modifications in the apache http.conf file:

Alias /localC "C:/"
<Directory "C:/">
Options FollowSymLinks
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Now the whole drive C is available for the webserver via http (this is
imo a security problem) and with ┬┤ReplaceRules replace "c:/" "/localC"┬┤
in my swish.conf
I can open the search result by clicking the modified swishdocpath-link
http://localhost/localC/temp/test.doc. So far so good - the problem is
solved, but now I wanted
to know if there is a better solution for my problem.

Michael