question from a new user: open search result links to local files

From: Michael Erdmann <michael_erdmann(at)not-real.t-online.de>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 23:12:30 GMT
Hi,

since yesterday I'm using swish-e 2.4.4. on Windows XP with Perl v5.8.8
and Apache/2.0.54. My swish.conf looks like this:

---------------
IndexFile C:/SWISH-E/bin/my.index
IndexDir C:/

NoContents .jpg .gif .jpeg .png .tif .bmp .eps
IndexOnly .htm .html .txt .xls .doc .ppt .pdf .jpg .gif .png .tif .bmp
IndexContents HTML* .html .htm .doc .ppt .pdf
IndexContents TXT* .txt .log .xls
IndexContents XML* .xml
DefaultContents HTML*
MetaNames swishdocpath swishtitle

FileFilter .pdf pdftotext   '"%p" -'
FileFilter .doc catdoc '-s8859-1 -d8859-1 "%p"'
FileFilter .xls xls2csv '-s8859-1 -d8859-1 "%p"'
FileFilter .ppt catppt '-s8859-1 -d8859-1 "%p"'

StoreDescription HTML* <body> 10000
StoreDescription XML* <text:p> 320
StoreDescription TXT* 500

FollowSymLinks yes
IndexReport 1
ParserWarnLevel 1
IgnoreWords File: C:/SWISH-E/share/doc/swish-e/conf/stopwords/german.txt
TranslateCharacters :ascii7:
BumpPositionCounterCharacters |.
HTMLLinksMetaName links
IndexComments yes
ReplaceRules replace "C:" "file:///C:"
---------------

Indexing and searching with the command line works fine, so I wanted to
implement a desktop and network search with swish.cgi. The swish.cgi is
installed and works, I can do a search with the above mentioned index
and I get results.

The problem is I can not open results on my local hard-drives by
clicking the link_property-link (swishdocpath) (for example
file:///C:/somedirectory/somefile.pdf), because the result documents are
outside of the apache documentroot. Copy the link and open it direct in
the webbrowser works - that means, the link is ok. Opening a document
from a web-location works with the prepend_path parameter.

I found a "dirty" workaround: creating aliases in the http-conf /localC/
or /ServerP/ which point to C:\ or the network share P:\ and running the
apache-service with my account instead of the local system account. Now
I can open results with file:///C:/... or file:///P:/... But this is not
my preferred solution, because it is insecure.

Does anybody know a better/easier way to open search results with local
files on the harddisk (copy and paste of the link is very
circumstantially)?

One more question: How can I index my mailbox on an
Outlook/Exchange-Server? Are there any tools or experiences (I did a
search in the archive of the mail discussion list, but I found nothing)?

Best regards,
Michael