Re: SWISH-e 2.4.4 RPMs for Fedora Core 6

From: James <swish.enhanced(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 16:52:46 GMT
On 1/11/07, Peter Karman <peter@peknet.com> wrote:

> > On 1/10/07, Simon A Wilper wrote:
> >> Ladies and Gentlemen,
> >>
> >> I am a big fan of SWISH-e and running a Fedora Core 6 Linux.
> >> Unfortunately there are no SWISH-e 2.4.4 RPMs in the etras nor freshrpms
> >> nor livna repositories.
> >>
> >> Now I would like to ask whether I may package the latest SWISH-e version
> >> that happens to be 2.4.4 and host it on my site.
> >>

> Simon,
>
> I am a FC user too, and I think it's great that you are volunteering to create
> and host RPMs. Thanks.
>
> I would suggest you wait a week or two and create 2.4.5 RPMs instead. We are
> finishing up some details and hope to get that release out soon.
>
> 2.4.4 has some bugs in it that I would rather not see propagated out in
> something like an RPM.
>

>  > James scribbled on 1/11/07 3:42 AM:
> >
> > Just follow the GNU GPL and you'll be okay to do what you've asked.
> > Swish-e is open source.
> >
> > Here's a link: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
> >
> > And here's more info:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License (and, with
> > regards to Swish-e, make sure to read the section, "GPL-related
> > disputes")
> >
> > As a rule with open source, go to the actual license on GNU.ORG and
> > don't believe everything else you read - even on Swish-e.org (
> > http://swish-e.org/license.html ).
> >

> As a rule with open source, read the license that comes with the software.
>
> James (though I'm sure well-intentioned) offers wrong advice on this. The
> Swish-e license is *not* the standard GPL. It is a modified GPL, using a special
> clause that GNU lists in their own FAQ.

You are right in saying that I am well-intentioned.  I always am.
However, I did not offer wrong advice.  Consumers/Users should always
use the GNU GPL as the authority, not the vendor/developer.  I have
seen, very often, vendors falsely interpreting the GNU GPL to deceive
consumers/users. Since you and Bill are fallable men, the
consumers/users of Swish-e should always default to GNU.ORG.

> This is the Swish-e license:
> http://swish-e.org/license.html
>
> Believe it.

Questionable.

> And in regard to the Wikipedia article regarding GPL-related disputes, see
> http://swish-e.org/license.html#faq especially the FAQ #1.

Which says absolutely nothing

> That said, the Swish-e license is totally compatible with creating and
> re-distributing RPMs.
>
> --
> Peter Karman

Regardless, the best thing about open source is that you may freely
use the software, hack away at it to your hearts delight and not worry
about anyone else's interference.  Just don't redistribute it and try
to take sole credit for it as your own work.

Yours Truly,

James