Re: Swish-e Spider and Following Image-based Links

From: James <swish.enhanced(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 14:40:31 GMT

On 1/10/07, Peter Karman wrote:

> James scribbled on 1/10/07 7:13 AM:
> > Good morning!
> >
> > I have a question.  Is it possible to tweak the Swish-e spider so that it
> > will follow image-based links, even if the image does not have an alt tag?
> > I realize that having the alt tags are the standard, so don't misunderstand
> > me.  However, we all know that a lot of web-masters (professional and
> > novice) don't use alt tags, even for image-based links and the Swish-e
> > spider doesn't seem to follow those image-based links without the alt tags.
> >

> I would guess that the reason the spider ignores the src attribute of img tags
> is that images are assumed to be non-text, and Swish-e only handles text.

Peter, I would imagine you are correct.  But, why are other bots, like
the ones that Google, MSN and Yahoo use, able to follow the links?  Is
there a way for the Swish-e spider to simply recognize that a link is
in the HTML and follow it?  Or how do other bots handle it?

> --
> Peter Karman

Thanks for your time, Peter.  You're responses are helpful to me.

Thanks for your time,

James