Re: TruncateDocSize fails on CVS version (II)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 15:03:27 GMT
On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 03:51:48PM -0800, Gertjan Hofman wrote:

> Bill,
>
> After endless printf statements:
>
> Looks like the program never comes back from the call
> to wait (&status) in FilterClose in filter.c., which
> is called from index.c near line 1140.

Oh, right.

I need to look at other parts of swish better.  I think I confused how
-S prog works with filters.  When using -S prog (where all input files
are a continuous stream of input) truncating has to "flush" the input
buffer which means it reads input until the next input file in the
stream.  I was thinking that filters were flushed, too.

But with the filter if swish quites early (such as when using
TruncateDocSize) will need to either flush the buffer or kill the
child process then reap it.  Kill is probably to right way to do it.
I assume if you have a wait() system call there's probably a kill.
Flushing the input might be safer but slower.