Re: Debugging swish-e to resove memory leak

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 16:06:13 GMT
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:59:31PM -0800, Gertjan Hofman wrote:
> My thought was that I would download CVS versions at
> different dates and see when the problem starts to
> occur. I ran into a number of problems, but let me
> stick with one for now.
> Ubuntu 6.06LTS comes with 2.4.3. I posted the conf
> file earlier, but essentially letting it loose on a
> directory containing  two 15 MB .xls files. Using the
> -e option, it (Ubuntu's 2.4.3) barely takes more than
> 3% of my measly 446 MB.
>
> I dowload the CVS tagged version 2.4.3, which I assume
> is identical ? All .c files date from 2004.
>
> With the exact same indexing options & conf file, it
> grind the laptop with 2 Gb swap space to a halt.

That's frustrating.  Did you try downloading the 2.4.3 source
distribution, too?  The tagged version should be the same, but might
be worth a try.  I assume the Ubuntu version is from the swish-e
download page.

If it's really something different with how the Ubuntu is built then
what about unpacking the .deb and checking for any different
configuration options they are using.

Then you could also try building that version and see if it's
different.