Re: command line syntax when searching for multiple fields

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 15:13:20 GMT
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 06:15:10AM -0800, Cas Tuyn wrote:
> Brad,
>
> > why aren't you using the Swish::API perl module for this? It would make
> > the issue much easier to debug IMHO.
>
> Because we use 2.4.3 and were scared away from 2.4.4 by all the
> messages last week. Swish-e API says:
>    DEPENDENCIES
>    You must have installed Swish-e version 2.4 before building this module.
> I also noticed API's for 2.4.3 but it looks like a full rewrite,
> instead of just adding a few search fields.

SWISH::API works fine for 2.4.3.  You would be wise to use that --
along with maybe CGI.pm for processing your input arguments.

> > swish-e -w author=$author costcenter=$costcenter -f blah.index
>
> I'll try it without the \" around the meta fields, but in the
> documentation I read that it then literary searches for the words
> author=cas instead of searching for "cas" in the author field only.
> And these quotes do work with author.

I think you are mixing things up.  You would use quotes to keep the
shell from breaking up arguments that might have a space.  You also
need ( and ) to make your queries work right if they include spaces.

Unless you really know what you are doing, running a query through the
shell is probably not a good idea.