more out of memory fun

From: brad miele <bmiele(at)not-real.ipnstock.com>
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 00:25:20 GMT
Hi,

This is a new out of memory adventure, and I am getting ready to undertake
the gdb stuff, but here is the scenario...

I installed 2.4.4 on a new machine (never had swish-e on it) and tried
indexing my 900K fileset. The process gets about 2/3 of the way through
checking dirs when it fails with:

err: Ran out of memory (could not allocate 262144 more bytes)!

I have tried this with both incrimental and non-imcrimental builds, and
also with -e. -e on regular swish-e seems to just hang at about the same
time in the process. i didn't bother with incremental and -e because
incremental has historically dumped core when -e is used.

anyway, i will post more after i run gdb. just for fun, system specs are:

HP proliant G4, 2 x 3.4GHz Xeon Procs, 4G RAM
Freebsd 6.1-STABLE

regards,

Brad
Brad Miele