File-System optimization

From: brad miele <bmiele(at)not-real.ipnstock.com>
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 18:03:39 GMT
hi,

we currently use fs to index our stuff, this is because we are already
dumping xml for every record in our database.

my question is, is it faster to break the directory up into sub
directories? right now, we have one directory called IDX that has all
900K+ files in it. it takes a very long time for swish-e to move from the
"Checking dir" phase to the actual indexing phase. "a very long time" is
not really quantifiable right now since we generally don't see it
happening and i am just noticing because i am running things manually
today. it has been sitting at this stage for about 1.5 hours so far.

so should i try breaking the directory up into sub directories?

thanks,

Brad
Brad Miele
VP Technology