Re: Online documentation currently impaired

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 19:58:53 GMT
On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:44:58PM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> The online documentation at http://swish-e.org/docs/index.html seems to be
> incomplete. All links within the documentation -- for example,
> http://swish-e.org/docs/swish-run.html -- present just a gray banner and
> some boilerplate. I tried both Firefox and IE.

Well, it's a long story but a view into how my days sometimes go:

The swish-daily quit building because our host upgraded gcc.
Well, they installed gcc in a new directory and updated symlinks in
/usr/local as you would expect but...

$ ls -ld /usr/local/gcc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         20 Sep 12 14:35 /usr/local/gcc -> /usr/local/gcc-4.1.1

$ ls -ld /usr/local/gcc-4.1.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         16 Aug 24 10:54 /usr/local/gcc-4.1.1 -> /data2/gcc-4.1.1

$ ls -l /data2/gcc-4.1.1
/data2/gcc-4.1.1: Permission denied

Not very helpful.

Ok, so I updated my path to point to an older version.

Then noticed that the docs were generating an error, and that was due
to (I assume) and upgrade of Perl on the host which left a locally
compiled module linked against a different version of Perl.  So that
blew up.

Re-installed Template Toolkit (to recompile the XS stash) and then
the docs no longer would build -- well the pod -> html part failed.

Just now tracked that down to a change in the last version of TT from:

 if ($module = $self->{ PLUGINS }->{ $name }) {

  if ($module = $self->{ PLUGINS }->{ $name } || $self->{ PLUGINS }->{ lc $name }) {

Which made the the plugin we use to convert from pod to html break in
an odd way (started using the build-in converter instead our custom
one).

I suspect that's a result of the developer working on OSX and getting
lazy with case.