Re: Metanames and -w

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 16:35:27 GMT

  ----------

> Well, if I search the resulting index lets say for the word "Diskussion"
> like this:
>
> swish-e -w Diskussion
>
> I get 0 results. If I search the metaname like:
>
> swish-e -w Anmerkung=Diskussion
>
> I get the correct result. Shouldn't I find "Diskussion" also when not
> providing the metaname in the search? Or will i have to change something
> when indexing if i want to be able to search within the complete index all
> at once?

You are telling swish to store the 'Anmerkung' content under that
metaname.  To be able to search that you have to specify the metaname.

Words indexed that are not defined within a metaname get indexed under the
"swishdefault" metaname.

When you use:

    swish-e -w foo

That's actually doing:

    swish-e -w swishdefault=foo

Think of the metanames as tables in a database.  All data has to be
in a table and you have to specify the table when searching.  You
can't do:

    select filenum from * where word = 'foo'

Likewise, in swish you cannot search all metanames at the same time.
(Although, I think it would be easy enough to do that in the code.)