Re: Ranking order based on file extension

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 17:44:51 GMT
Shivakumar GN scribbled on 7/21/06 8:25 PM:

>>From the swish documentation I got the impression that filters and -S
> prog basically achieve the same thing. Am I missing something here? I
> haven't experimented with all possible options of swish. Will check it
> out further.

-S prog and SWISH::Filter are definitely not trying to achieve the same thing,
though they are often used together in tandem.

-S prog simply tells the swish-e command to expect input from a filehandle. If
an executable value is passed, then the filehandle will be from that executable.
Otherwise you can specify stdin.

SWISH::Filter simply converts non-text documents to html, xml or plain text.

Often they are used together: convert non-text docs to text, then hand to
swish-e via -S prog.