Re: Swish-e working with Ajax

From: David L Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 15:49:22 GMT
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 06:41 -0700, François Tissandier wrote:
> The idea is to show the top 25 results as soon as three letters have
> been typed. For each new letter, you have new results. If you have only
> one result left, it opens it automatically, you don't even have to click
> on anything. We used an open source code from another website, and adapt
> it a bit. But it's still basic Ajax, it calls a PHP page, calling the
> swish search engine.

The live searching is definitely a great idea.

I'm using xmlhttp to return search results for my blog entries at:

With mine you have to press enter and the results load into a div below
the search box.  I also implemented history tracking and bookmarking.
The search query persists across pages if you follow a link to one of
the results.

For example, this performs a client-side query for "swish-e":

Which calls this script on the backend to return XML:

Source view:

 David L Norris
  ICQ - 412039